Mobility requires preparation. Our job is to simplify your life thanks to special agreements specifically negotiated for mobile researchers and their families (Subscribe here):
- Personalized assistance: Please contact your EURAXESS Services Centre, in the city where you are going to stay.
- Health insurance, Supplementary health insurance, Comprehensive housing insurance, Death and disability insurance, Civil liability, school and after school activities.
- Banking: Opening a bank account.
- French as a Foreign Language (FLE): Agreement with the Alliance Française and the Entrefilet Editions (Bien-Dire Magazine).
- Accomodation: Agreements with 4 Appart-Hotel type residences, for temporary accomodation.
Finding a Research Team
Who better than you can find the suitable research team? Here are a few helpful links to find a research group in France:
- Directory of doctoral programs and research units: This directory lists research labs associated to universities (unités de recherche). You can search it based on several criteria: discipline, geographical area or keyword.
- Directory of Universities
- Research institutes and organizations: This site of the French Ministry for Higher Education and Research provides a complete list of French scientific and technical institutions (organismes scientifiques et techniques, site in French).
- This directory lists the Engineering schools
- ScanR, to easily find private and public research players, and their work.
Finding financial support
- CEA, French Atomic Energy and Alternative Energy Commission
Applications and financial supports
- Cirad, French Agricultural Research Centre for International Development
Job offers and internships
- Cnes, French National Centre for Space Research
- Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS)
Work at the CNRS
calls for international proposals from the CNRS
- IFREMER, French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea
Post-doctoral positions 2018-2019
- IFSTTAR, French institute of science and technology for transport, spatial planning, development and networks
Inward mobility (or sabbatical years) towards IFSTTAR
- Institut Curie
Foreign post-doctoral fellows
Hosting programs for senior researchers on sabbatical
- Institut des hautes études scientifiques (IHES)
Programme William Hodge
- Inra, National Institute for Agricultural Research
- Inria, National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Automation)
- Inserm, National Institute for Health and Medical Research
- Institut Pasteur
Fellowships and Mobility Aids
calls for projects
Doctoral and Post-doctoral programs
- Institut Polaire Français Paul-Emile Victor (IPEV), French institute for polar scientific research
- IRD, Institute for Research and Development
- Institut national de recherche en sciences et technologies pour l’environnement et l’agriculture (IRSTEA)
- ONERA, the French Aerospace Lab
Scholarships allocated under bilateral agreements between the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs and the relevant ministries of other countries. French embassy sites provide a list of funding available for graduate and post-graduate research (in French). Search by country:
Programme CAPES-COFECUB (Campus France)
Grants and programs
Coopération universitaire, Echanges scientifiques (Institut Français Chile)
Programme pour la coopération scientifique franco-danoise (Institut Français Danemark)
Coopération franco – allemande
Bourses Groupe interdisciplinaire de recherche Allemagne France
Feodor Lynen Research Fellowships (Fondation Humboldt)
Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research (CEPIPRA)
Appels à projets
Bourses et mobilité
Programmes bilatéraux JSPS
Bourses du gouvernement français
Bourses spécifiques au réseau franco néerlandais de l’enseignement supérieur et de la recherche (FRNL)
Programme de bourses
Programme de bourses Eiffel
Bourses de « la Caixa »
Programme de bourses Futuro
Coopération scientifique et technologique franco-suisse
- United Kingdom
Appels d’offres et mobilité
Echanges & aides à la mobilité
Bourse du Fonds France-Berkeley
Partnerships in S&T
Programmes for joint research projects exist between France and some fourty countries. The French national agency for the promotion of higher education, international student services and international mobility oversees the exchange programmes called Hubert Curien Partnerships (PHC).Their goal is to promote excellence in scientific and technical cooperation between French and international laboratories.
International programmes were set up to promote exchange and cooperation in various disciplines:
- The iEDU association provides a search engine for all types of funding available to students and postdoctoral researchers from all sources, including funding from the various French regional councils.
To search for funding by French region, click on financement selon la région française de destination (in French only).
- Research in Paris Program
Since 2003, the City of Paris has offered a selective programme to attract researchers from abroad – postdoctoral and confirmed researchers – to public-sector research laboratories located within inner Paris for a fixed period. Check the’Research in Paris’ Programme (in English).
- Blaise Pascal Chairs (Paris Ile-de-France)
- Cancer research
The Institut Marie Curie runs its own programme for foreign researchers. It offers fellowships to Foreign post-doctoral fellows and senior researchers on sabbatical.
International union against cancer (UICC) – International Cancer fellowships
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) – IARC Fellowships for cancer research
French Cancer Research Association (Arc) – Individual support for students and postdoctoral researchers
- Medical research
Fondation Pasteur – Fellowship Program
Nouvelle société française d’athérosclérose (NSFA) – Grants, research contracts and awards
Fondation pour la recherche médicale (FRM) – Programs for researchers
- Research in humanities and natural sciences
Fondation Fyssen – Post-doctoral grants
Agence universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) is a global network for the French-speaking scientific community – Allocations
European Science Foundation (ESF) – Calls and Funding
- Fondation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme (FMSH)
FMSH collaborates with private French and foreign partners to attract foreign postdoctoral researchers to France.
Several specialized sources can help you identify research jobs and research scholarships for your stay in France:
- For your visa application: French Embassies and Consulates abroad
- For other formalities, such as entrance and stay, social security, etc., please contact your EURAXESS Services Centre or Local Contact Pointand et refer to the page legal expertise of this site.
- For the accomodation issue, you will find practical information in the guide published by the French Euraxess network working group on accomodation, downloadable here: Housing Guide. We are grateful to the Agence Départementale d’Information sur le Logement du Bas-Rhin (ADIL 67) for its final proofreading.
– For any question related to your accomodation, please contact your Euraxess Services Centre in the first instance.